The Canadian ELD (ELOG) Mandate
Deadline & HOS Rules - Q4 2019
From the FMCSA Website: The electronic logging device rule is intended to help create a safer work environment for drivers, and make it easier and faster to accurately track, manage, and share records of duty status (RODS) data. An ELD synchronizes with a vehicle engine to automatically record driving time, for easier, more accurate hours of service (HOS) recording.
The Canadian Trucking Alliance’s (CTA) just issued their timeframes for the elog regulation and requested that compliance be fully enforced by the fourth quarter of 2019, with existing devices (such as ERDs) permitted until 2022.
- Will be enforced by the fourth quarter of 2019
- Existing “e-logging” devices (AOBRDs,EOBRs,e-Logs) permitted until 2022
- Will standardize processes to prevent errors, logbook tampering and driver harassment
- Will adopt most of the provisions in the U.S. Mandate from December 2017
- Won’t change the Hours of Service regulations—just how drive time is recorded and reported
- Will require replacing paper logs with a regulation-compliant device that connects directly to the engine ECM
- Still undecided over which model year elog would be regulated to- Either model trucks 1995 and newer or model year 2000 and newer
- Still undecided over the handling of rented and leased vehicles and out-of-service orders for failure to have an ELD
The Canadian government has linked ELD devices with safer roads and preventing fatigue, like the reasons supplied by the U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). It says: “Driver fatigue is recognized in Canada and internationally as a critical risk factor associated with motor vehicle crashes, accounting for 15-20% of crashes in transportation. Commercial motor vehicle drivers are particularly at risk because of the monotonous nature of their work, extended work days, irregular schedules and poor sleep hygiene.
For a number of years, the Canadian Trucking Alliance has been pointing to research that shows a universal Electronic Logging Device mandate would have a direct and immediate impact on curbing behaviors strongly linked with higher crash rates . “We’re constantly looking at how technology can improve road safety, and electronic stability control and electronic logging devices fit the bill,” said Canadian Transport Minister Marc Garneau. “These new measures not only make trucks and buses safer, but they also have a trickle-down effect of making the roads safer for all Canadians.”
The Canadian ELD announcement was received with open arms by trucking bodies in Canada. Mike Millian, President of The Private Motor Truck Council of Canada (PMTC) welcomed the introduction of the ELDs stating: “we are firm believers that this regulation will benefit the entire industry. Electronic logs will make compliance easier to verify, ensuring all carriers are following the hours of service rules. This will result in a leveling of the playing field within the industry and improved road safety for all.”
Currently, the Canadian ELD proposal is in the Gazette 1 phase, and the CTA would like to see it reach Gazette 2 (final decision) by June of 2018.
Don’t wait for the last minute to become compliant! We offer the highest-rated FMCSA And Canadian DOT compliant ELD devices & solutions. Our ELD solutions can be stand-alone ELD or a combined, total solution with fleet management including driver behavior, temperature monitoring and engine diagnostics. Take a look at our ELD product offerings below.
Wireless Links offers the most comprehensive set of solutions to ensure fleets get the most out of the Canadian E-Log mandate
Through our extensive range of applications, Wireless Links offers benefits that other, less innovative companies cannot match.
Take a look below at the complete selection of Plug & Play ELD Devices, all integrated With Telematics
Compatible with all major vehicle protocols- J1939/J1708 & OBDII and with a wide variety of cable options to choose from, BlueLink ELD works with just about any vehicle. BlueLink sends the GPS and ECM data via BLE to the DriverLog App running on any mobile device, DriverLog receives the data and syncs with the cloud via the mobile device’s cellular data plan.
- Standalone ELD Compliance Solution- For fleets looking for compliance only, BlueLink plugs into the vehicle’s ECM without interfering with your existing telematics installation.
- Plug & Play Installation- Simply plug BlueLink into the vehicle’s Jbus port via the 9-Pin, 6-Pin or OBDII (Heavy & Light Duty Cables available) and you’re all set!
- GPS Tracking- BlueLink Integrated with DriverLog provides for a complete ELD and GPS Tracking solution without the need to install a telematics GPS unit in each vehicle (GPS is dependant on the driver running the App on his phone.)
An advanced, ELD ready telematics gateway that plugs into the vehicle’s ECM for a complete Fleet Management solution including engine diagnostics, driver behavior, temperature monitoring and more. For ELD compliance, the Piccolo BLE sends the ECM data via Bluetooth BLE and optionally via a standard USB cable to the DriverLog App running on any tablet or smartphone.
- Provides Functionality & Reliability- Provides the functionality and reliability of a one piece fixed mount integrated on board computer for a fraction of the price.
- Dual USB & BLE Communication- The Piccolo USB is a hybrid ELD with dual USB & BlueTooth BLE communication, allowing for full in-cabin portability and for a full communication back up in case the USB is disconnected.
- A Complete Fleet Management Solution- The Piccolo STX is a modular, plug & play vehicle tracking device providing fleet managers complete, real-time visibility to location, driver behavior, CAN Bus Interface, temperature monitoring and ELD Compliance.
The most advanced and economical ELD solution for fleets, enabling fleets to meet the ELD mandate without incurring additional cellular data costs by connecting via the in-cabin WiFi Hotspot.
- In-Cabin WiFi Hotspot– DriverLog connects over WiFi to the Piccolo Plus, sending the ECM data via WIFI and uploading the HOS data to the cloud.
- Makes ELD Affordable- Built in WiFi allows you to cut costs by paying for just ONE SIM for both Fleet Management & ELD Compliance,. In addition, save money by purchasing less expensive WiFi-Only tablets.
- Future-Proof Fleet Management Gateway-The most innovative, most advanced GPS Telematics Gateway with an unparalleled set of features providing real-time visibility into location status, wireless sensor data, built-in WiFi Hotspot and ELD-ready for HOS Compliance.
Start Innovating Today!
Speak to a fleet technology specialist to put your business on the road to success.