There are a lot of options when it comes to dash cameras for your truck. Which type is right for you and your fleet? There are numerous sites claiming to list the best dash cams and multi cam systems for trucks.
Before you purchase a wireless fleet dash cam system, you should read about the facts and only then decide which dash cam is the BEST for your needs.
Truck dash cams, or dash cameras, attach to the truck’s windshield or rear-view mirror to provide coverage on both the front and rear of the truck and offer truck drivers and fleet managers more control over their fleet safety as they capture video footage of distracted driving, risky events and context to accidents.
Benefits and advantages of having Truck Dash Cams include:
- Reducing false claims with truck dash cam footage
- Incentivizing safe drivers with safety data
- Improving driver training with truck dash cams and video footage
- Speeding up insurance claims
- Protecting and exonerating drivers when they aren’t at fault
- Forward-facing dash cams – watch the road ahead,
- Dash cam with a dual camera – watch the road ahead and the driver
- 360 degree cameras watch the road ahead, both sides of the vehicle and the driver.
If you want to protect your business from false insurance claims then forward facing cameras will probably meet your requirements.
Front-facing dash cams such as Wireless Links Dash cam solution for fleets automatically detects driver behavior events such as sudden brake, sudden acceleration, sharp turns, lane crossing and speeding are labeled and auto-uploaded to the cloud with the exact time and location of events.
If you’re looking to monitor driver behavior and implement training programs, dual facing cameras would provide the tools needed as the dual camera provides in-cab driver monitor, allowing fleet managers to use the videos recorded by dash cams and show drivers what went wrong, such as distracted or dangerous driving and how to prevent similar incidents in the future.
The best dash cam for semi trucks and truckers has the following:
- Dual Facing Full HD 1080p Smart Dash Cam
- On-Demand Live View And On-Demand Historical Video Retrieval
- Up To 256GB Built-In SD Storage ~ Up To 1 Week Of Recording
- Works Over WiFi And Optional 4G LTE
- Continuous Recording While The Vehicle Is Switched On
- Easy To Install, No Hard Wiring Required – the dashcam should be a plug and play solution.
- Easily Export/Retrieve Video Footage – When you need the footage, you should be able to just click a button and have the footage you need for the event.
Multi cam systems are dash cams that are expandable to support front and rear additional cameras and an in-cab monitor , providing added coverage for the driver to see from a 360 angle of what’s behind and beside them with exterior cameras (side cameras) that capture all angles outside of the vehicles and eliminate blind spots.
These type of cameras are best for drivers operating a larger vehicle such as a semi-truck or tractor-trailer so they can see the full picture. Take a look below at examples of multi cam systems for your dash cam:
Dash cameras with WIFI for trucking fleets is by far the most cost effective solution for your fleet.
When stating “WIFI dash cams”, companies usually refer to the fact that the dash camera connects over WIFI. This is very important for trucking fleets as it means they don’t need to purchase an extra SIM card or data plan to use and download video footage. Rather, the dash camera connects over WIFI and is able to send video footage and data through WIFI.
It is best to equip your fleet with a total fleet management solution that provides telematics 4G and WIFI hardware. This way you can add additional solutions such as the mentioned truck dash camera, mobile apps, ELDs and more without having to purchase additional cellular data plans.
Why Wireless Links Dash Camera for Trucks?
Wireless Links truck dash cameras are paired with our advanced Piccolo Plus 4G telematics device and connect over WiFi, enabling fleets to deploy an integrated fleet management and dash cam system – without incurring cellular data and carrier costs. We provide a complete solution including fleet management, Dashcam, ELD and more!
The dash cam captures and labels driver behavior events such as sudden brake, sudden acceleration, sharp turns, lane crossing and speeding and auto-uploads to the cloud with the exact time and location of events.
Plus, the solution supports up to 2 additional front and rear exterior cameras and an in-cab monitor, giving drivers the ability to see the full picture of what’s behind and beside them, decreasing blind-spot collisions and visibility into vehicle interiors, improving safety and efficiency.